Finding the right story.

Home Forums Beyond Perfect Dancer Series Finding the right story.

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Shubhra
    Participant

Hi akka,
    I had a question that popped up while watching the ‘Beyond Perfect Dancer series’.
    How can someone who does not have a writing background weave a story in such a way that that it can be choreographed in dance and that has an interesting storyline that can be followed by a general audience? After coming up with a core portraying it accurately with a story that can convey the right emotions the right way is a process that I constantly get stuck at. How can this be overcome?

Thank you
    Regards,
    Shubhra

savithas
    Participant

Dear Shubhra,

Coming up with a story may or may not be a dancer’s forte. I have a fabulous writer who writes for me – that is not to say his works are pre-meditated on becoming dance pieces as he writes them. He writes whatever story he wishes to and if it is possible for me to adapt it into a dance project, I take it on.

So, you need to read a lot or be associated with a writer in some way, that is if you are unable to pen your own stories. Adapting a story that you resonated with is a great way to start. If you can hold pen to paper reasonably well, Srikanth says – write what interests you – without strings attached. Writing evolves much like dancing. Like everything in dance, it takes a lot of failed attempts to produce something that has merit. Keep writing as much as you can! It will help you – even if it is a journal to log your thoughts.

– Savitha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.